Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Missions Trip Day 2


Mission Trip
Reynosa, MX

1 Peter 5

Day 2

After sweating so much yesterday, I wasn’t sure that I could handle the heat in Mexico. God is GOOD! In the forecast it was suppose to be very hot all week but in San Antonio it RAINED!!!!!!!! I have never been so happy to be loading up the van in pouring down rain.  I was even a little chilly because of the rain.
Group praying before we leave for San Antonio to Reynosa, Mexico

We had about a four hours to the Mexico border.

For lunch we had Subway sandwiches and there was a Dairy Queen across the street. Alania and I shared a 12 inch sandwich and it had wonderful gucamole. Sara had mad the saying of you never pass up a bathroom or guacamole on road trips or just in general… that became our saying every time someone would go to the bathroom or had guacamole. We were about two hours away from getting to me Betsy and who ever else was going to transport or luggage over.

Meeting Betsy and Randall were super excited to see us. The Texas office of Children’s Haven International, is where the thrift store, fundraising, and offices are located.

The first place that we went was the room with all the children pictures.  I was super excited to see all of them and was surprised that there wasn’t anyone who really stuck out at me. Even though I was expecting some of them to stick out at me.  Instead their where faces on a wall and at that point the nerves started to kick in and begin to fill my mind. What was I doing? I have spoken Spanish since 2004 in my not so awesome Spanish class. At that point I had to start to pray.
“Lord please let there be someone that I can impact or will have an impact on me. There are 53 children on this wall, please help me to be patient and be able to communicate with one or two of them.”
Once we had crossed the border we travel about 10-20 minutes and we were at the 15 acre compound of Children's Haven International, CHI. 


We made it! No issues with customs and we traveled over to CHI in less than thirty minutes. What a relief to finally get to the spot were I have been preparing in my heart to go for about a year. We had a quick tour of the campus and here the women's side of the dormitory.
The dormitory were the only rooms that were air condition.... and I slept excellent every night. That poor little air unit was working to keep the room at 68 degrees. It sure was a huge answer to prayer when the temperature was not as hot as it was expected to to be. Now don't get me wrong, it was still hot but not he 110 degrees that is was supposed to be. 

We were able to meet all the children, the house parents who they called Tio (Uncle) and Tia (Aunt), other staff at CHI. During the summer there are two interns, Stephanie from Tx and Josh from KS joined us this summer. We were able to attend one of there weekly chapels and then hang out at afterwards and play some soccer and start to get to know the kiddos.

I was so ready to go to bed and get up and work early in the morning.

1 Peter 5:5-7

5In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,
“God opposes the proud
but shows favor to the humble.”

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment